SEWING LEATHER BAGS
Sewing Leather bags. Leather is a great material to work with and is easier to handle than you think. For example, lambskin is quite soft and light and no thicker than denim, corduroy or upholstery fabric, so your home sewing machine will sew it without any problems. Leather clothes and accessories are always in fashion, but they are really expensive. If you make the skirt or bag yourself, it will be much cheaper. The only thing you need to invest in is luxury skins.
The leather doesn’t fray, so you don’t have to clean up the edges – no serger is needed to stitch the leather! Leather is easy to cut and decorate! With proper care, leather will give you years of wear and your leather garments and accessories will look stylish for years to come. All you need are special ideas and tools and the courage to find a way around some problems.
MATERIAL FOR MANUFACTURING LEATHER BAGS
- Lambskin – also called Nappa; it is soft and thin leather and easy to work with. I used 2 different colors. There is an online store on Amazon called Leather Treasure where you can buy nice skins.
- Wallet design
Since the leather cannot be folded to cut the pattern pieces and you will have to cut the pattern in one layer – print 2 main panels and 2 side panels, but only 1 bottom. But if your frame is other than 20cm, you can make your own pattern or modify it.
- Sew a mockup of a leather bag
Make it out of denim or upholstery fabric so you know what it looks like before you cut your leather. The bag actually only has 4 seams to sew, so it doesn’t take much time to make the mockup.
- Cut off the skin.
To prepare the leather for cutting, lay it flat on the table and process one thickness. Check the skin for imperfections before cutting. I use sharp scissors to cut the leather pieces, but you can cut with a rotary cutter (as they usually recommend for leather. The pattern pieces cannot be attached to the leather with pins as they will leave holes in the leather. Use a pattern weight or in this case clear tape to hold the pattern on place. I have collected real stone creations for many years, so I use them as pattern weights. Use a pen to transfer the pattern marks to the back of the leather.
- Needles– are also important. Use a new needle for the project. For my lambskin I used a special Schmetz leather needle size 90/14 and 100/16. These needles leave only a small opening in the skin. But you can probably also use Universal or Microtex lambskin needles.
- Threads – use strong 40 weight polyester threads. Cotton threads are not good, they break. It is very important that the thread matches the thickness of the eye of the needle – if they do not match the hole made by the needle, it will be too big for the thread. In other words, use the thinnest needle the thread will fit into so you don’t leave large holes in the leather. Enter the length of the stitch 2.8-3 mm; it must be a little longer for stitching the skin. Release the thread tension.
FIVE DIFFERENT TYPES OF LEATHER USED IN THE BAGS
- Leather style for the best leather bags
Another style we use is pebble leather. As the name suggests, this type of leather has a unique texture that is raised and creates a pebble shape. It adds character to genuine leather bags and is scratch resistant at the same time. If you want a hassle-free bag that doesn’t require you to carry a baby, pebble leather might be your perfect choice. While this pebbly texture can appear on artificial leather, it is also common on genuine leather. Pebble treatment of genuine leather can hide defects and marks that would otherwise make the leather undesirable.
- Drawstring leather for bags
When it comes to creating colorful pieces, stretch leather is our choice. Pull up is basically a finishing technique, often used on the upper face leather. It works by injecting hot oil or wax into the skin, sometimes both are used. This finishing technique gives the leather a two-tone effect different from the patina of the leather, meaning it does not age the leather. There are other popular types of leather used for handbags that you may have heard of. Here are three other types of leather bags:
- Split leather
The split grain comes from the bottom of the leather after it has been split, creating what we know as suede. Split leather usually has a final layer applied. As it comes from the lower part of the skin, this material is less durable than the upper face leather. What attracts people to split leather is its flexibility and abrasion resistance.
- Types of crazy leather bags
Don’t let the name put you off. Crazy horse leather is a type of full-grain leather that ages and becomes more beautiful over time as it develops a unique personality. This type of leather is made of full cowhide, only removes the hair. It was given the name “Crazy Horse Leather” because it is traditionally used for horse saddles.
- Grade of bison leather
Bison leather – also known as buffalo leather – and is often compared to cowhide. Bison leather differs in its durability, being about 40% stronger than cowhide. This durability comes from its pebbled texture, making it a popular choice for everything from boots to military uniforms.
HANDMADE LEATHER BAGS
Sewing Leather bags .Handmade leather bags are mostly described as completely handmade from cutting the leather to sewing and finally the finished product. Full grain leather is soft, supple and durable, while its suede cousin contains no outer grain leather, so it maintains a level of softness that full grain leather cannot. Although suede is beautiful and soft, it is very prone to stains, so care must be taken to prevent stains as it is not washable.
Leather bags include shoulder bags that use shorter loops to allow the bag to sit on the shoulder, satchels that hang over the side, bags with long loops that can be slung over the shoulder and hang down to the side, and flap bags that have shorter ear. as a shoulder bag and have a flap for entering the bag. Leather colors are also as varied as building styles; leather can be dyed to match almost every color of the rainbow and then some.
Most women don’t consider what type of handbag would suit their body type, most look for what goes with their outfit or personality. The rule is that the handbag has the opposite shape of your body. These tall and thin body types would be flattered by a rounded bag, while the rounder ones would be best to consider a square or rectangular shaped bag.
HOW TO FIND A QUALITY LEATHER BAG
Sewing Leather bags .Leather is the most popular material for bags today. Great on leather, it adds an elegant touch to handbags. They never go out of style. They also usually last longer. In addition, it usually goes well with different types of clothing. But there are different types of leather on the market. Some are of high quality and others are not up to par. In addition, the quality of the construction also plays a role. Here are some tips to help you buy a good leather bag.
- First, you should choose the right size and type of bag. The bigger the bag, the more expensive. Most stores that specialize in travel bags offer a variety of sizes and types including tote bags, carry-on bags, trolleys, and even high-end garment bags.
- 2. After choosing the right type of bag, you should know the differences between different types of leather. If you want something that is durable and that you can use for many years, look for cowhide, pigskin or buffalo leather. These are the best if you are looking for durability. Leather sets made from crocodile skin are also fast becoming popular.
- 3. You should check the quality. Make sure it’s a non-glued leather type. Check the stitches to make sure they are done correctly. There should be no patch covering unwanted parts. Quality designer luggage bags usually have a lifetime warranty. Also comes with papers and serial number. The serial number is like an identification card of the person who made the bag. If you have complaints about sewing or handwork, you can get it fixed by the manufacturing company.
- The bag should be sealed and treated. That way, you wouldn’t have to do a lot of things to keep it in good condition. Most quality luggage needs to be sealed at least once a year to keep it looking good.
- 5. Know the possibilities of your brand. There are companies that specialize in the production of leather travel bags. You can choose from different luggage sets with them. You should also consider your travel needs when purchasing. Browse through the many options and narrow them down to the ones that best suit your travel needs.
Sewing Leather bags .With dozens of different types of leather wallets to choose from, each leather has its own characteristics and personality. Understanding the difference between full grain and full grain leather can help you decide which leather is best for your lifestyle. Every skin is different, which guarantees that there is one for you. If you’re always on the go, you’ll want leather that’s durable, seamless, and durable. For those who appreciate the finer things in life, you may want buttery soft leather for a luxurious experience.